Saturday, March 14, 2009

Movie Talk part 2

I am a great admirer of Bryan Singer's works. I mean, he is brilliant when he had his hand on the camera. His masterpiece, The Usual Suspects, is the greatest of his works I believe. Man, who can ever forget when Verbal Kint walked out of the police station cripple, and slowly the cripple gone, then came a car, a man came out and light him a cigar, he put one leg in the car, look outside for a while, puff a little bit, and gone off. Man, I was like, what the fuck???? That was brilliant! That was awesome! The same feeling when you find out how Andy Dufresne escape from the prison in Shawshank Redemption, and the same feeling you found out Bruce Willis is actually dead already in Six Sense. Fucking brilliant!

And that's not all. I just love the whole movie actually. How he played with the background songs, the scripts, I just love a movie with good lines.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone."

I don't actually know where the lines were originally from, but the first time I heard it was in the movie. Catchy eh?

And I love his other works too. X-Men, X-2, Superman Returns, I love it all.

I am glad he was brought in to direct Superman, because the original director's version, Brett Retner, is like a super crap.

"Abrams story re-imagined Superman as a Kryptonian prince sent to earth as a baby to avoid an impending civil war between king Jor-El and his brother Kata-Zor. Raised as Midwestern teen Clark Kent, and in love with his high school sweetheart Lois, Superman becomes humanity's defender when Kata-Zor invades Earth, aided by CIA Agent Lex Luthor, who is actually a Kryptonian in disguise. The film ended with Superman returning to Krypton to rule over his people after the death of Jor-El." (www.imdb.com)

Are you kidding me?? That's not Superman Returns! That is Super Faggot Kicking-His-Uncle-Ass-To-Become-A-King Returns! Brett Retner loves to do something bombastic. Look what he did to X-Men 3. Freaking lame. I hate it.

And I just love the Bryan Singer's version. How the emotional retention between Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane, and the background musics. One of my favourites scene, when Lois was trapped together with his fiance and son in the boat, all hope was lost, before suddenly Superman steps on the boat, and brought it up over the sea. And then the Superman's theme song slowly blend in.. brilliant. And also the scene after he throw that huge rock to the sun, he fell down, everybody just watching helplessly, and then Boomm! He hits the ground. I was silence. No background songs or any lines can be heard.

And the lines, I just love it.

Lex Luthor: Do you know the story of Prometheus? No, of course you don't. Prometheus was a god who stole the power of fire from the other gods and gave control of it to the mortals. In essence, he gave us technology, he gave us power.
Kitty Kowalski: So we're stealing fire? In the Arctic?
Lex Luthor: Actually, sort of. You see whoever controls technology controls the world. The Roman empire ruled the world because they built roads. The British empire ruled the world because they built ships. America; the atom bomb. And so on and so forth. I just want what Prometheus wanted.
Kitty Kowalski: Sounds great Lex, but you're not a god.
Lex Luthor: [fixes Kitty with an icy stare] Gods are selfish beings who fly around in little red capes and don't share their power with mankind. No, I don't want to be a *god*. I just want to bring fire to the people. And... I want my cut. (www.imdb.com)

How fucking awesome is that?

But of course, the movie lack of characters strength. Nothing much memorable about the character, not something you can remember like Forrest Gump, General Maximus Decimus Meridius, Chuck Noland of Cast Away, or even Captain Jack Sparrow.

Sadly, I have no idea why the rating was so low in IMDB. 6.7. That low. Or am I just sucker for low Q movies? Ha Ha.

At the moment, his latest movie, Valkyrie is on the show right now. Surprisingly I am not tempted to go and watch, not tempted at all. Wait for the torrent then I guess?

2 comments:

Obefiend Weiland said...

i think it is down to the fact that by that time there were TOO MANY superhero movies. people got tired of it by the time it came out.plus we already have smallville on smallscreen. that mean more overdose on batman.

me included

secondly Brandon routh is too small an actor to wear the famous red spandex. i wasnt moved to watch the show as a result. superman is not an unknown franchise so to put an unknown was a mistake. this is akin to reboting spiderman and letting Justin Chatwin become Peter Parker

last but not least

superman is kinda lame. even in the comic book he is viewed by Batman as a boy scout, he is too clean. too all american. these days people love heroes with major flaws. look at The Dark Knight. we know that Bruce Wayne is a traumatised lad. he is unable to even love his childhood sweetheart. then he lost her to joker. most cinemagoers can relate to that. how many of you can realte to superdude and his krypton origin?

iceroll said...

I would agree with u, but not totally agreed. Maybe they should put a known face, but not too famous. Look what happen to Ghostrider, crap.

And I dont see anything wrong with too many superhero movies. Some of them were good, damn good. Besides, it sells!