Monday, March 8, 2010

Invictus

I watched it yesterday. The reason? Because it was directed by Clint Eastwood. I love anything with Eastwood inside it, regardless he is the actor or he directed. I knew he is great as an actor, but who can imagine he is also excellent when as a director. I remembered Angelina Jolie used to quote on him, that his method of directing is interesting, he allowed the actor and actress to express feeling in their own way, and nevertheless she love to do any job that involve Eastwood in the future. And so far I love all the movie that he directed, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Letter from Iwo Jima, Gran Torino and his latest masterpiece, Invictus.

Morgan Freeman sure did one hell of a job as Nelson Mandela, as I swear to God I thought I was watching Mandela himself in the movie. It is comparable to Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland. Matt Damon on the other hand is, hmm.. just so so. I don't think he deserve the Oscar nomination. But as a whole, I think this movie is brilliant as I haven't had a good movie in quite sometimes now. Ermm I watched Up in the Air also last week and George Clooney is overrated. But good movie though.

But what I want to relate here is how Mandela used rugby to unite his people. Well if you must know, sports unite people my friend. And I relate this with racism issues in our own country. We should have realize by now that the tension has grown, we shouldn't wait until it reach it peaks and the tension broke. The way I see it, sports can do the job to cool it down. You just imagine if our boys qualified for the World Cup, the whole nation will unite behind them. And I saw this when we hosted Commenwealth Games in 1998, the whole nation united although there were political tension occur at the same time.

Now the World Cup is just around the corner. South Africa has been criticized for their high crime rate, and visitors doesn't feel quite save if they want to come and watch. And I send this message to South African; for God sake, for the love of the game, please host one hell of a show to us.

2 comments:

naz said...

you love anything with eastwood in it.

you watched Clooney last week.

Are you sure you're not gay? haha.

To answer your question, in actual fact the jet flying over the stadium during the final game was a staged event. this is one of the deviation eastwood made, besides the poem Invictus, actually mandela gave Pienaar the speech "man in the arena", another inspiring material, try read it.

I bet we'll see mandela come summer in S.Africa. The question is what kind of jersey he'll be wearing hehe.

iceroll said...

I'm quite sure... I'm not gay. Haha bole tak quite sure.

I'm hoping to see mr. Mandela on summer, if he can make it. U know, die kan tak sihat skang. Haha jahat tak.